We invite competition proposals for the 2023 International Joint Conference on Biometrics (IJCB 2023)
in Ljubljana, Slovenia. The main goal of the competitions is to provide a common ground for
benchmarking of state-of-the art algorithms, to consolidate research and identify open problems in
biometrics-related research areas. We solicit competition proposals on any topic of interest to the
broader biometric community and strongly encourage proposals focusing on new emerging fields and
open research questions that are able to attract a significant number of participants. Competition
organizers having a strong track record in the field are especially welcome.
From the proposals received, the strongest will be selected to be held with IJCB 2023 and eventually
invited to submit summary papers to the conference. The selection process will be based on the
novelty of the proposed competition, the relevance and timeliness of the problem explored, the
importance of the research questions investigated, the potential to attract a large number of
competitors, the impact of the competition, and the track record of the organizers.
The deadline for submitting competition proposals is Monday, February 10th, 2023. Decisions will be
circulated by February 14th, 2023.
Competition Proposal Submission
Competition proposals should be sent to the IJCB 2023 competition co-chairs, Clinton Fookes
([email protected]) and Ana Filipa Sequeira ([email protected]), with the email subject
»IJCB 2023 Competition Proposal: [title of your competition]«. The proposal should include the
following information to facilitate the decision process:
- Title of the competition.
- Names, affiliations, contact information, and a brief CV of the competition organizers.
- A list of three most relevant publications related to the competition for each organizer.
- Motivation for the competition, expected outcomes and anticipated impact,
- Relevance to IJCB 2023,
- Relationship to previous competitions, if any,
- Description of the novelty of the competition.
- Description of the dataset(s) used for the competition and the available annotations,
- Details on the experimental protocol and result generation/submission procedure,
- Information on the platform used (for data sharing, submission, verification of the
results), if any,
- Description of the evaluation criteria (performance metrics) and available baseline
implementations/code (e.g., a starter kit).
- Expected minimum number of external participants (next to the organizers),
- Plan for promoting the competition and attracting participants,
- Description of the planned coordination activities,
- A detailed timeline for the competition.
- Other relevant information.
The competitions should preferably start in February 2023 and be completed by the summary-paper
submission deadline on May 15th, 2023. Competition organizers will also be requested to prepare a
web page for the competition, which will be linked from the conference website. The web-site should
be online before the start of the competition.
Proceedings and Presentation
Competition organizers will be invited to submit a summary paper discussing organization, datasets,
and results by May 15th, 2023. The summary papers will be considered for inclusion in the IJCB 2023
conference program and should follow the same formatting and presentation rules as regular papers.
The submissions will undergo the same review process as regular papers. The presentation format (if
accepted) will be determined based on the quality of the submission and reviewer feedback received.
Accepted summary papers will be included in the proceedings of IJCB 2023 and send for inclusion in
IEEE Xplore subject to meeting IEEE Xplore’s scope and quality requirements.
Deadline for submitting proposals:
Decisions to organizers:
Submission of summary papers:
Camera-ready deadline for competition papers:
February 6, 2023 February 10, 2023
February 14, 2023
May 15, 2023
August 3, 2023